Mrs. Harry King, beloved wife and mother, a resident of Sycamore all her life, succumbed to a lingering illness early Sunday morning at her home at 439 Washington place.
Mrs. King was born Jennie Marshall, of Rural Sycamore, on December 24, 1899. She spent her young years in Sycamore schools and studied the pipe organ at Valparaiso university for one year.
Married at Harvard
On July 15, 1925, at Harvard Hill, Ill. she was united in marriage to Harry W. King; they coming to Sycamore to live on a farm for several years. Later, when her husband became employed in the post office here, they moved to their home on Washington place. They have lived there for the past 10 years.
She was overtaken by ill health about seven months ago, and the efforts of her devoted husband and family to secure her recovery were in vain.
Mrs. King had spent the later years of her live making a fine home for her husband and three fine children who, with others, have given the mother the loving care she inspired. She was devoted to her music and art, too, and many times she has given performances at Sycamore churches on the organ. Her house is replete with many examples of her fine artwork.
Was a Capable Worker
In all of her many church activities she was a capable and a hard worker. She was a member of the Sycamore Methodist church.
Mrs. King gave untiringly of her time to many of the interests and activities in the church of her choice. In her younger days she served as president of the Queen Esthers. She was actively associted in work of the Sunday school and the Young Women's Missionary society. She was a member of the Sycamore Woman's club.
Surviving her, besides her husband, are three children: Marilyn, Dorothy and Marshall; and three brothers: John and Lester of Sycamore and Merrill of Rockford. Her father, Charles E. Marshall of Rural Route No. 1 Sycamore still survives, but her mother passed away in 1915. Her mother was Ann Westlake Marshall.
The funeral services were held privately at the home at 2:00 this afternoon and at the Sycamore Methodist church as 2:30. the Rev. W. B. Morgan and the Rev. C. H. Draper oficiating in the final rites. Burial was at the Charter Grove cemetary.
Sycamore True Republican, Nov 19, 1940
The "Queen Esthers" were a young woman's church activities group.